Assistant Director, Public Relations and Corporate Communications-Marketing & Communications
Johns Hopkins Hospital/Johns Hopkins Health System
Full Time (40 hours), Day Shift
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
To learn more or to apply, please go to: https://jobs.hopkinsmedicine.org/pr
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
- Increases awareness and share of voice for Johns Hopkins Medicine research, education, patient care and business initiatives by maximizing positive earned media.
- Actively manages, proactively addresses and monitors institutional issues and crises. Develops and implements strategic communications plans and products to promote research, clinical advances, service lines, business initiatives and related activities that support and strengthen JHM’s Strategic Plan.
- Measures, tracks and reports on results and maintains relationships with local, regional and national media.
- Manages public relations and corporate communications team members and identifies stories, news and other communications needs.
- Actively monitors, measures and reports results of strategic plans and related activities.
- Works closely with Sr. Director of Public Relations and Corporate Communications to develop comprehensive strategic plans with measureable goals that are focused on strengthening, protecting and maintaining a consistent image for Johns Hopkins Medicine, and improving local and national media coverage.
- Leads integration of information across M&C divisions, particularly for JHM official websites and publications.
- Works closely with other M&C staff to integrate and coordinate coverage of research, clinical and business news, and engages video, traditional and new media to reach external audiences.
- Proactively gathers and produces news and information for news media releases, web news and other pages, repurposing information for broadband (including social) media.
- Manages and provides communications expertise to faculty, physicians, scientists, and staff, including communication planning, interview preparation, message development, press conference planning and communications training and counseling for events, initiatives and programs related to research, clinical advances, business initiatives and institutional issues.
- Identifies and proactively pitches consumer targeted stories to regional and national media, including human-interest patient stories and experts for breaking and trend stories. Leads efforts to establish, monitor and participate in e-communication and social media in order to appropriately promote JHM stories and activities.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree with emphasis in science, medicine, journalism, or public relations required; master’s degree preferred.
- 7+ years of demonstrated experience in medical/science/health public information, journalism, media relations, public relations and/or communications.
- Proven knowledge of and extensive experience with national and regional print, broadcast and electronic media outlets, including web-based and online relevant media/information sites.
- Demonstrated ability to manage issues and crises.
- Demonstrated ability to engage key stakeholders including media, internal, executive, web visitors/consumers and others.
- Demonstrated experience supervising and implementing effective external communications plans and strategies.
- Knowledge of health care institutions and operations desirable