PRSA Maryland is your local resource for professional advancement. Through our chapter and via the national PRSA organization, you have access to continuing education seminars, information exchange forums, training webinars and research projects.
- This event has passed.
5 Steps for Writing Breakthrough By-liners and Blogs (Webinar)
April 29, 2020 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Why do certain contributed articles entice editors and resonate with target audiences? Why do certain blogs captivate readers and get shared all over?
Learn to craft by-lines and blogs with stopping power in this fast-paced, interactive webcast led by Jack Appleman, prominent PR writing instructor and author. Practice creating enticing themes, generating compelling copy, and structuring content to keep readers engaged from start to finish. During the session, you’ll complete a series of challenging writing exercises—and submit copy for Jack’s real-time feedback! You’ll learn how to:
- Develop a laser-focus on a single theme
- Create captivating titles and leads
- Loosen up your language
- Craft explicit subheads
- Make copy flow with smooth transitions
Learning won’t stop when the webinar ends. We have two special offers:
1) PRSA members receive complimentary 6-month access to five Successful Business Writing’s 5-minute writing tutorials—specially selected for PR pros. Each has a 2-minute video and a 3-minute exercise. See demo
2) All attendees are eligible for a discounted rate for SBW’s Value-Added Coaching Program: $179 for PRSA members / $229 for non-members. SBW’s Value-Added Coaching Program includes:
- 60-minute virtual writing consult with Jack (could be two 30-minute segments)
- Copy of Jack’s book, 10 Steps to Successful Business Writing (2nd edition, ATD Press), with sections on writing press releases and proposals
- 6-month access to SBW’s complete series of 19 five-minute writing tutorials
Group coaching and customized webinars are also available. Contact SBW: email@example.com
When: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 | 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
Where: Online through Zoom
Investment: Free (includes recording)
About our presenter …
Jack E. Appleman, APR, CBC, prominent PR/business writing instructor and author of 10 Steps to Successful Business Writing—2nd edition (2018, ATD Press), is driven by the belief that working professionals can dramatically improve their writing by following straightforward techniques.
His writing workshops, webinars and one-on-one coaching for agencies and organizations including Ragan Communications and PRWeek, have helped thousands of individuals achieve better results from their writing.
As principal of Successful Business Writing, Jack brings more than 20 years’ experience as a corporate trainer, professor and PR professional. He has been a frequent speaker and has published several articles on the importance of good writing, including a recent column in PRSA.com: 5-tips-for-crafting-business-stories-that-resonate-with-readers
In 2014, Jack received the Charles T. Morgan Award from the Association for Talent Development (ATD) for lifetime excellence in corporate training. A professor for 18 years, Jack teaches communication courses at New York University. He received his accreditation in public relations (APR) certification from the Public Relations Society of America.
Jack earned his B.A. in Communication from Ohio State University and his M.S. in Journalism from Ohio University. He is studying for his Ph.D. in Organizational Communication at the State University of New York at Albany.