Submitted by Sandra Arnette, APR
Building any relationship takes time and commitment. And the rules are much the same whether you’re on Twitter or face-to-face. Here are seven helpful tips to get you started:
- Don’t overthink it. Just be yourself. Show genuine interest in the person you wish to engage.
- Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself and perhaps share why you’re following this person. (Perhaps you found a recent post to be interesting and insightful, or there are other things you have in common.)
- Always be respectful, polite and considerate. If the person you wish to engage doesn’t respond to your tweets, don’t whine and complain, especially online, or bombard the person with more tweets.
- If your tweets are retweeted or favorited, send a note to say thanks and reciprocate.
- Engage the person you’re building a relationship with. Respond to questions. Comment on his or her posts and include how the information impacted you. Don’t make it all about you.
- Always make a positive first impression. Post a good bio with a link to your website, if you have one. Ensure that your spelling and grammar are correct. Avoid retweeting information that does not position you or your business in a favorable light.
- It’s a courtesy to follow someone who’s following you and comment on what that person has posted. Remember, this person could be a major player in your field down the road.