KATHLEEN KELLY UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP
The Kathleen Kelly Undergraduate Scholarship is awarded at the discretion of PRSA Maryland’s Executive Board to a student who demonstrates excellent academic credentials and the potential for a successful public relations career.
Kathleen S. Kelly, Ph.D., APR, Fellow PRSA is a tenured full professor of public relations at the University of Florida. She has been a member of PRSA since 1978, and was active in the Maryland Chapter for many years serving as chapter president 1986-87. In spring 1991, at the 30th Best in Maryland Awards event, the Maryland Chapter named Kelley “PR Professional of the Year” and renamed its annual undergraduate scholarship to “The Kathleen S. Kelly” in honor of her contributions to the Maryland Chapter of PRSA and public relations education. Click here to read more.
- To honor the outstanding achievements of an individual public relations student.
- To encourage all students to strive to high levels of performance and participation as they prepare for careers in public relations.
- To connect PRSSA chapters and public relations students to PRSA Maryland.
- A one-time award (amount determined by board).
- College-level student with sophomore or junior status.
- Enrollment in college or university in Maryland; or a resident of Maryland attending college outside of the state.
- Concentrated study in an area of communications with the intention to pursue a career in public relations.
- Excellent academic record (minimum 3.0 GPA overall and grades of B or better in all public relations, English and/or writing courses.)
- Commitment to public relations as demonstrated by:
- campus public relations activities
- membership in PRSSA and/or other career-related student organizations
- public relations work experience (paid, volunteer, internship)
- other involvement in campus and/or community organizations
- Financial need is not considered in selecting the recipient.
- Call for applications, along with deadline and selection criteria will be announced by:
- letter directly to all PRSSA faculty advisors and Maryland college communications departments
- information on PRSA Maryland Web site
- Applications will be reviewed by the PRSA Maryland Education Committee
- The Education Committee will narrow the field and make a recommendation to the Executive Board of PRSA Maryland.
- The PRSA Maryland Executive Board will review committee recommendation and make a selection.
- Education Chair will notify scholarship recipient
To be considered, student must submit:
- completed application, including essay
- official transcript(s) from all colleges and universities attended
- comprehensive student resume covering criteria areas
- two recommendations (one from a professor and one from an internship supervisor or other source)
Please contact us at email@example.com for more information.