Are you looking for hands-on experience in marketing and social media? Learning Undefeated is a Maryland-based nonprofit driving race and gender equity in STEM through experiential and deep-impact learning experiences for students from under resourced communities.
Our small but mighty communications team is looking for an intern to help us share our story through fun, timely social media content. This is a flexible internship opportunity for a current student or recent graduate in marketing, PR, communications, or a related field.
Anticipated schedule: 20-25 hours per week. Flexible based on your school schedule. Plan to be in our Gaithersburg, Maryland office at least one day per week, other schedule considerations will be mutually agreed based on our needs and your availability.
This is an incredible opportunity to be part of a team that is changing how STEM education is delivered, with a specific focus on underserved communities. This role offers the intern a total immersion into a busy nonprofit organization that is currently undergoing a period of intense growth. The ideal team member will be high-energy, creative, flexible, solutions-oriented, and able to handle rapidly changing circumstances with grace.
Compensation & Timing
This is a paid internship (amazing, right?) at the rate of $15/hour. We’re pretty flexible to work within your school internship requirements (if necessary) so you can also get credit for this internship.
Learning Undefeated embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Submit resume and a cover letter demonstrating your fabulous writing skills and/or a portfolio of your work to Janeé Pelletier (email@example.com).
What we are seeking: A passionate, creative, and well-written individual who helps engage our digital audiences through creative and collaborative content. In this role, you will design and develop social media campaigns and photo/video content for a variety of platforms that builds engagement and shares the work of the organization in compelling ways. A typical week will involve…
- Conceptualizing, creating and publishing daily content on Twitter, TikTok, LinkedIN, Facebook, and Instagram that shares stories of our successes, builds meaningful connections, and encourages engagement.
- Authoring original short-form and long-form copy for social posts, newsletters, blogs, and more.
- Suggesting innovative content that ties into current social media trends.
- Organizing & editing photos and videos from Learning Undefeated field staff, for use in social outreach.
- Growing online social networks by increasing followers and interactions. Employing innovative tactics to grow the audiences and reach influencers.
- Collaborating with VP, Communications to ensure a consistent campaign across channels.
- Research articles, stories, resources or other content to enhance Learning Undefeated’s original content.
- Reviewing data on the performance of social media platforms and creating strategies to optimize outreach.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Graduate of, or currently enrolled in a two or four year degree-seeking program (such as A.A., B.S., or B.A.) in marketing, communications, business, or related field required. This position requires an individual with outstanding customer service, friendly disposition, and works well as part of a fast-paced team.
- Excellent writer with a passion for writing both short and long copy; writing samples required.
- Fluency with graphic design programs and video/photo editing software. Familiarity with key social media tools (Twitter, LinkedIN, and Facebook), social media queuing software (HootSuite, Buffer) and Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Familiarity with social media analytics such as Facebook insights, Google Analytics, and Twitter analytics.
- Well-documented and professionally appropriate social media presence.
- Trustworthy self-starter with proven ability to see projects through to completion. Must be able to work independently with initiative to manage own workload without much supervision. (S)he must be flexible and adapt well in unpredictable situations.
- Must have own transportation and be available for local day, evening and weekend functions, as health conditions permit.
- Must pass a criminal and sex offender background check, as well as a drug screening.
- Reliable and punctual; timeliness and dependability are critical for this role. Excellent time management required.
- Ability to follow instructions and work cooperatively with other team members, Learning Undefeated educators, staff and administrators
- Interest in communications, marketing, science, technology, engineering, math, or education
- Must be able to use and have access to the internet
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Possess excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and be self-motivated