Who We Are
Gavin™ is a fast growing, award-winning full-service boutique brand communications agency located in Central PA serving clients in healthcare, education, government, finance, and business services across the US. Named a Best Places to Work in PA, Top 50 Fastest Growing Company and Top 250 Private Company in the region, we are committed to creating a diverse environment and being an employer of choice.
Our office is headquartered in York, Pennsylvania with locations in Harrisburg and Lancaster Pennsylvania, with a supportive work-remote culture. This position offers a work-remote option, requiring that the Media Relations Manager visit the office and client locations for key meetings and events as necessary. Our clients are regional and national companies requiring an understanding of local, regional and national media, inclusive of omni-channel communications strategies.
We encourage growth from within. We are committed to attracting and retaining diverse talent in every aspect to grow with our team. This position allows for upward mobility and advancement with proven ability and contributions to agency growth and success.
The Media Relations Manager is responsible for working across the Public Relations department to identify and secure earned national media opportunities for various clients in primarily healthcare industries, supporting social media and content creation to maximize outcomes for our clients. This includes surfacing proactive opportunities for clients based on news cycles, client strategies. as well as offering counsel alongside the senior team on reactive media opportunities and issues and crisis management scenarios. The role requires an experienced, tenacious, and outside - the - box thinker who can push pursue earned media opportunities that will advance our client’s core objectives. This individual must possess in-depth knowledge the inner workings of media relations, an excellent writer and editor, work well under intense deadlines and think quick on their feet to support client needs. In addition, the individual must have a robust knowledge of relevant analytics, social media, and influential media platforms.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain strong relationships with teammates
- Develop and maintain deep relationships with local, regional, trade and national media on behalf of existing clients
- Responsible for time management per client scope of work, confirm with account managers on how many billable hours are available for media relations
- Maintains detailed media data base records by client assignment
- Relentless pursuit of media opportunities, including being an avid reader of healthcare industry news and media updates to keep the team apprised of opportunities
- Develops media relations content including but not limited to:
- Pitch letters; News releases; Messaging; FAQ’s; Blogs; Byline articles etc.
- Effectively communicates with team members regarding outreach progress and updates
- Generates new ideas/new ways to grow media relations services to clients, as appropriate
- Strong understanding and proven track record of leveraging social media platforms for enhanced outcomes and pitching to amplifying client success across all distribution channels
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Ability to strategically navigate messaging and develop speaking points, inclusive of prepping clients for interviews on key points
- Assist with proposal (new / existing) development, as needed
- Stay abreast of media market changes, reporter changes etc.
- Knowledge of media tracking and sourcing systems such as Cision and Critical Mention a plus
- Knowledge of news distribution services, such PRNewswire, PRWeb, and ANR/VNR/Virtual Media Tours
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism or English
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant national, regional and local market media relations experience in the healthcare sector. PA media knowledge a plus
- Excellent writing skills for senior level ghost writing and content creation
- Established local, regional and national media contacts
- Prolific at understanding what the media needs and what makes a pitch successful
- Ability to drive and prioritize multiple assignments
- Proven track record of delivering earned media coverage and establishing relationships with journalists
- Must possess the ability to be solution - oriented and work under minimal supervision
- Proficient in MS office including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc. and demonstrate d ability to learn new systems quickly
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to manage high stress situations; remain calm under pressure