Erickson Living is hiring for an Editorial Content Manager who will be responsible for ensuring a successful blend of senior-focused content and community-specific messaging in the Tribune that drives prospects to take the next step in the sales cycle. This position helps create the journalistic vision for the newspaper and has editorial management responsibility for implementing the vision across all versions of the Tribune newspaper.
How you will make an impact:
- Act as a mentor to Assistant Editor by providing developmental opportunities, performance reviews, and evaluations as well as overall day-to-day supervision and direction.
- Lead ongoing editorial strategy meetings to identify compelling content that builds on and expands the newspaper’s brand and meets sales/marketing objectives.
- Manage the workflow (assignment and delegation) of print Tribune broadsheet and tabloid versions.
- Work with marketing leadership team to create and implement strategies for editorial expansion, specifically to address changing customer needs and lead generation.
- Confer regularly with other departmental peers (Strategy, External Communications, Web/Digital, Creative) to coordinate effective, results-driven messaging in print and digital as well as maintain journalistic excellence.
- Oversee freelance writers to ensure copy that meets high-quality standards and is on message.
- Write articles and headlines, edit copy, double-check proofing, and perform all other journalistic tasks as needed.
- Collaborate with Tribune design team, to select graphics/images and determine story placement and front-page treatments.
- Adept in various newspaper formats including broadsheet, tabloid and online.
- Work closely with Manager, Publication Design, and related disciplines to identify and implement process efficiencies that align with the requirements of the Tribune’s operating budget.
- Explore opportunities to bring in revenue through outside advertising that serves the readership as well as enhances the brand.
- Help hire top talent and develop potential successors for editorial positions.
- Participate in cross-functional team interviews and assist in on-boarding these new employees.
- Ensure the professional development and growth of direct reports.
- Demonstrate excellent communication (oral and written), presentation skills, and interpersonal skills.
What we require:
- College degree required; graduate-level coursework in journalism, publishing, communications desirable.
- Ten years of professional experience, including five years as an editor with prior experience as a journalist.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills as well as a strong work ethic and hands-on managerial and leadership capability.