The most important qualification for all Maryland Food Bank employees
is their commitment to our mission: “Feeding people, strengthening communities,
and ending hunger for more Marylanders.”
The Maryland Food Bank (MFB) is seeking a talented communications professional to fill a newly created position: Editorial Content Manager. The Editorial Content Manager plans and writes compelling copy to support marketing, fundraising, and programmatic communications for large and varied audiences. This person will manage a multi-channel content strategy and be responsible for organizing this strategy into an editorial calendar. Versioning communications themes for various channels, a donor-centric writing style and an engaging storytelling approach, as well as an understanding of combining copy with visuals effectively is required. Writing deliverables will be for both print and digital channels.
The Maryland Food Bank embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.
- Develop strong, clear writing for a variety of platforms and mediums. Examples include concepting and writing blog posts, print newsletters, annual reports, fact sheets, website copy, stewardship emails, and impact reports for major and mid-level donors.
- Conduct interviews and gather information internally and externally to produce a steady supply of stories and content for external communications channels.
- Produce and manage a robust editorial calendar that draws from MFB’s broader organizational messaging framework and strategic initiatives.
- Serve as the organization's primary copywriter, providing writing support with an eye for detail and an emphasis on engaging, quality content.
- In collaboration with the digital marketing manager, write for targeted digital marketing efforts, including content for social media.
- Ensure all content is produced through a lens of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- 5-7 years of professional communications experience, with a track record of results in nonprofit, cause-related or for-profit writing
- Adept at integrating compelling stories with effective calls to action across diverse channels
- Keen attention to detail, self-starter, and organized work style
- Experience and ability to work collaboratively across an organization and interact with external stakeholders
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, new media, or related field
- Excellent, intrepid interviewing skills
- A portfolio of writing samples
- Skilled and efficient at repurposing stories for various channels/audiences
- Familiarity with editorial workflows in both traditional and digital channels
- Experience with website content management systems (WordPress) and email marketing platforms, social media platforms, digital marketing, and video scripting
- Photography and/or video skills are a plus