Position: Director of Communications
Reports to: Vice President, Involvement
The Director of Communications reports to the Vice President of Involvement and is responsible for developing Thread’s internal and external communications strategies, including management of traditional and social media and oversight of Thread’s brand. By connecting proactive communications with values-aligned brand development, the Director of Communications is a powerful driver of organizational alignment, resource recruitment, and national positioning of Thread within relevant circles of thought leadership. Success in this role is defined as executing dynamic campaigns and communications strategies that assist in achieving recruitment targets for human, social, and financial capital. Other relevant metrics for success include expansion of Thread’s social media presence, numbers of solicited and unsolicited press, and adoption of language that aligns with and helps build Thread culture.
More About Thread
Thread’s unique capability is that we facilitate mutual and permanent relationships that transcend race, class and zip code. We are a community where everyone feels seen, known, and loved. At the heart of our community are young people, exemplary individuals in extraordinary situations. Thread makes a ten-year commitment to them, beginning in 9th grade. Our young people are matched with family member volunteers who work together as a team to help the young person realize their potential. We know that enduring, authentic relationships change lives. Together, we are weaving a new social fabric.
We endeavor to build a staff team reflective of the diversity and experience of the people of Baltimore. We seek individuals with both technical expertise and a willingness to show all the way up and learn and live Thread’s core competencies. Thread is a fast-growing, fast-moving organization. Individuals must be ready to embrace change, learn from mistakes, and adopt a growth mindset to their personal and professional development. In turn, Thread provides a safe and supportive environment to take risks, be innovative, and be part of a model that has a 15+ year track record of supporting Baltimore’s young people with the greatest academic and achievement gaps in achieving exceptional personal and professional outcomes. Thread’s model is unique both in Baltimore and nationally and has achieved broad recognition for its track record of success.
Thread strongly encourages candidates from communities of color, the LGBTQ community, and low income backgrounds to apply.
Communications Strategy Development and Execution
- Develop and implement a communications strategy which supports the achievement of goals outlined in Thread’s most recent four year strategic plan.
- Maintain fidelity of Thread’s brand across all internal teams to ensure consistency of messaging to key stakeholders and beyond.
- Align all internal and external communications activities with the recruitment and retention of key resource including human, social, and financial capital
- Identify thought leadership and press opportunities to support Thread’s impact on national conversations relevant to the organization's mission.
- Develop and compile performance measures to evaluate impact of communications activities
Content Development and Brand Management
- Develop Thread source communication materials and templates that crisply articulate Thread’s “why”, “what”, and “how” for use by Thread community members in promoting the mission, vision and values
- Oversee and/or develop the design, implementation and maintenance of communication tools such as the website, social media handles, digital marketing tools, and printed collateral
- Design cohesive traditional and social media plans, including cultivation of relationships, that provide consistent messaging across platforms and align with the strategic plan to support recruitment of organizational resources.
- Identify and train Thread community members to share their personal journeys through storytelling.
- Create reporting tools and communications packets for staff, Executive Team, and Board of Directors
- Build a positive, long-term relationship with direct report(s) and develop, lead and evaluate relevant, individualized and meaningful one on one coaching sessions
- Empower, motivate and mentor direct report(s), serving as a thought partner, providing and soliciting feedback
- Instill a sense of accountability in direct report(s) by modeling transparency and oversight of individual and organization performance standards
- Monitor direct report(s)’s progress over time, with a focus on the deltas for both personal and professional growth and development
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree and 7-10 years experience in communications or external relations
- Required: Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Required: Ability to manage projects, organize and complete complex tasks, prioritize multiple assignments based on sound judgement and objectivity, and deliver on a timely basis
- Required: Ability to clearly communicate and live out Thread’s core values & core competencies.
- Preferred: Masters Degree
- Preferred: Prior experience with nonprofit communications and proven leadership collaboratively managing teams
- Preferred: Strong interpersonal skills that promote creativity, curiosity and enthusiasm when meeting and working with a wide range of individuals