Sheppard Pratt is the largest private, nonprofit provider of mental health, substance use, developmental disability, special education, and social services in the country.
We have an exciting opportunity on our PR Team as a Communications Specialist!
- Assists with the development and implementation of internal and external public relations and communication strategies for Sheppard Pratt.
- Supports departmental and organization communication activities through a variety of mediums and channels.
- Partners with key stakeholders across the organization to drive awareness of Sheppard Pratt and its programs and services internally and externally in support of its mission.
- Ensures organizational news and initiatives are successfully communicated to employees and written in the organization’s voice and in context of the brand.
- Plans, edits, writes, and deploys employee communications for a variety of internal communication channels (emails, electronic newsletter, intranet, flyers, etc.).
- Manages the organization’s internal communications platform, developing infrastructure, writing, publishing, and managing content.
- Track, measure, and report on effectiveness of internal communications strategies to drive improvements.
- Develop and maintain an internal communications plan under the direction of the Director of PR and Communications and in collaboration with Content Manager.
- Assists with internal crisis communications planning and execution.
- Monitors alerts, news, and competitor information to stay abreast of trends in mental and behavioral health care.
- Plans, edits and writes internal communications and proactively identifies and writes compelling stories for print, Web, internal channels, and news media outlets.
- Serves as a collaborative partner across service lines, departments, and teams to increase overall communications effectiveness.
- Partners with HR to enhance employee engagement and build organizational culture through a strategic communications strategy.
- Requires Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years’ experience in public relations, communications, journalism, or related field. Healthcare experience is preferred. Knowledge and experience should include:
- Strong writing/editing, listening and presentation skills.
- Professional, polished interpersonal skills, including experience in managing and maintaining confidential information.
- Excellent time management and organization skills to manage multiple projects at the same time and demonstrate impeccable attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience in effective communication strategies and tools, including print, Web, media relations, electronic media, AP Style and other e-communication tools.
- Familiarity with media tracking services and databases.
- Work requires a high level of interpersonal skills to effectively interact with a wide variety of organization and community personnel and effectively represent Sheppard Pratt to the media and other groups.
- Work requires analytical skills to identify proactive communication and PR opportunities, apply organizational style standards consistently, and drive awareness of organizational mission.