The Communications and Advocacy Manager will set and guide the strategy for communications and advocacy, digital media (including the website, email marketing and social channels), branded materials, and public relations to consistently articulate The Family Tree's mission and brand. The Manager of Communications & Advocacy will ensure that The Family Tree is viewed as the primary disseminator and go-to resource of child abuse prevention and child safety information within a diverse network and constituent base. The Manager of Communications & Advocacy will work closely with a peer group within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives.
- Coordinate a comprehensive and integrated communications strategy that meets the programmatic, administrative and advocacy objectives of TFT.
- Monitor and report on press, studies, and articles pertaining to child abuse, prevention, exposure to violence, and trauma to staff and Board of Directors, and supporters through staff newsletter, email, and other channels.
- Develop high-quality materials to support public communication of TFT issues, impact of programs on families, strengthen the TFT brand, and foster community support.
- Update and coordinate the production and creation of all print materials for TFT including brochures, flyers, annual reports, monthly e-newsletters, quarterly print newsletters, fact sheets, position papers, annual reports to the community, all public engagement campaigns as well as other written materials.
- Manage media relations, take and document media requests, track media placement, draft and send press releases, develop talking points for media, cultivate and pitch story ideas, and manage media sponsorships.
- Ensure that all external written communication meets quality standards and maintains consistent messaging.
- Coordinate and implement community building/public relations activities.
- Be a spokesperson for TFT and prepare and coordinate with others.
Digital Communications Management
- Serve as organizational lead for website content and updates
- Continue to strategically grow social media following and engagement via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin and YouTube.
- Conduct regular usability audits (ex. Google Analytics, Constant Contact) and authorized user audits.
- Create timely newsletters, event and informational email marketing efforts via Emma Email Marketing.
Policy & Advocacy
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships with organizations that will assist
TFT in meeting desired policy agenda outcomes.
- Implement strategies and activities necessary to carry out TFT policy and advocacy agenda.
- Coordinate and cultivate TFT supporters in Annapolis and local jurisdictions and manage events and activities.
- Provide research support on public policy, legislative and regulatory issues, as needed.
- Recruit, train, and manage advocacy volunteers.
Be the lead on the Board Marketing & Public Relations committee - prepare materials, staff meetings, manage deliverables, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
- Participate in meetings and seminars as requested
- Maintain positive, productive working relationships with all TFT management, staff, and volunteers
- Work cooperatively on interdepartmental tasks
- Occasional weekend and evening hours
- Willingness to learn and be flexible
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Communications,Political Science, Public Relations, Marketing, Non-Profit Management, Journalism, or other relevant degree.
- 3-5 years experience working in the non-profit sector.
EXPERIENCE: Significant development experience (minimum of 3 years) working in communication. Experience and ability in motivating and mobilizing volunteers, staff and Board.
- Strong commitment to our vision, mission and values
- Knack for interpersonal communications - able to interact positively with a variety of people and personality types
- Must be a confident communicator and presenter
- Highly organized, detail oriented, and able to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Superb writing and analysis skills. Ability to communicate effectively through clear, grammatically correct means.
- Excellent publication skills that include proofreading, copyediting and knowledge of design/layout
- Ability to design communication and advocacy materials in a comprehensive, appealing, and easy to understand layout
- High degree of teamwork, organizational and project management skills
- Microsoft Publisher and/or Photoshop experience preferred
- Experience with social media and web management skills preferred
- Must work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings
- Must be prepared to travel to various program sites, and various communities (Travel within Maryland with substantial time working in Annapolis..
- Possession of a valid Maryland motor vehicle operator’s license and willingness to use personal vehicle in the course of employment.
PHYSICAL DEMAND: Relatively little physical effort on a day to day basis is required. Ability to lift 25 pounds for the occasional need.
MENTAL DEMAND: Use of acquired knowledge and experience, problem solving skills, organizational skills, judgment and tact. Must be able to function efficiently in a fast-paced environment despite distractions and interruptions.
WORK WITH OTHERS: Collaborates regularly with staff, and has contact with Board Members, volunteers, and elected officials. Requires a cooperative and courteous attitude, as well as excellent phone and communication skills.
TO APPLY: Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.