The Aspen Institute's College Excellence Program is seeking an experienced professional to develop and lead the implementation of comprehensive and impactful engagement and mobilization strategies to elevate the program’s work across initiatives. This individual will work with CEP’s leadership, staff, and partners—including college and university leaders, collaborator organizations, and funders—to increase the prominence, reputation, and impact of CEP research, institutional network-building, and leadership development work. Through innovative engagement and campaign-building strategy, public and media relations, and close collaboration with partner institutions nationwide, the Program Manager will elevate the reach and influence of CEP and play a central role in several key CEP initiatives.
- Implement, and regularly assess and strengthen a comprehensive institutional engagement and mobilization strategy that builds and sustains interest in and urgency around the objectives of a national network focused on advancing student access and success.
- Help develop and disseminate high-quality written materials that spark interest and inspire the attention and support of CEP stakeholders and partners, including the media, to advance program objectives.
- Build and cultivate relationships with external thought partners and field leaders, as well as external communications consultants and partners.
- Working independently or with CEP expert vendors and consultants, strategically deploy the full range of relevant media options, potentially including (but not limited to) web, video, social, blog, e-communications, and podcasts, including working with relevant media representatives and partners to leverage such resources.
- Contribute to team-wide learning and knowledge management, notably in areas of strategic communications and engagement, including by drawing on and contributing to other Aspen Institute programs and resources.
- Supervise staff and consultants on projects related to communications.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5-7+ years related professional experience; advanced degree in a related field (journalism, public policy, public relations, or communications) preferred
- Evidence of consistent success building and executing effective engagement and mobilization strategies, preferably in a non-profit, mission-driven setting, and/or experience in a political campaign or other setting focused on strategically disseminating information to build engagement and achieve social impact.
- Exceptional writing skills with a focus on clarity, compelling story-telling, detail, and accuracy.
- Knowledge of innovative strategies and tools for media and public relations.
- Web savvy and experience working with a wide range of social media tools
- Entrepreneurial acumen and drive, and the ability to see and respond to opportunities to strengthen and/or course correct programs and plans to increase impact.
- Ability to work autonomously as well as collaboratively within a small and highly motivated team.
- Awareness, knowledge, sensitivity, and ability to build relationships with people of all backgrounds and communications skills, including high-profile institutional and philanthropic executive leaders.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to plan and follow through with staff and a variety of constituencies in a consistently high-quality manner.
- Good interpersonal skills, including a sense of humor, humility, flexibility, and a desire to learn.
- Passion for the mission and objectives of the College Excellence Program and the values of the Aspen Institute.